Zamak is one of the most widely used materials for the manufacture of a large number of everyday objects. In fact, this raw material has replaced brass in a large number of products, largely because it is cheaper and offers the same or better results than the latter.
The production of zamak pieces allows the development of a great variety of products and objects. Therefore, from Atienza y Climent, as experts in the manufacture of moulds for zamak, we talk about the benefits of Zamak, what it is and what it is used for.
What is zamak?
Zamak is an alloy of zinc with aluminium, copper and magnesium. Its name is an acronym for the German initials of the four metals Zink, Aluminium, Magnesium and Kupfer (Copper).
This material alloy has high hardness and high tensile strength, as well as good mechanical strength, plastic deformability and good castability. The latter characteristic refers to the ability of a cast metal to produce complete and flawless parts.
Uses of Zamak as a material
As we have already said, zamak is an excellent material for the injection of any type of parts thanks to its great castability, so the use of this material is practically infinite.
This material has always been linked to the hardware sector, as it is capable of giving very good results and creating pieces with a lot of detail at a much lower price than the materials traditionally used.
It is also very common in the costume jewellery and ornaments industry because it is cheap to produce, it does not tarnish over time like silver and a high level of detail can be achieved with this material.
It is commonly found in everyday objects such as keys, locks, buckles, pens, candlesticks, trophies, household appliances and even toys.
You can also find parts made of zamak in your car. For example, the carburettor or the oil pump has parts made of this material among their components.
As if all this were not enough, for some time now, this material has also been present in the field of branding and marketing, as many brands use it for the creation of their logos.
As can be seen, the use of zamak is completely widespread in our society, but why?
Advantages of using zamak as a metallic material
This is a very common material and is used in a large number of products. This is because producing zamak parts has a number of benefits that we will detail below.
- Affordable price: it is a much cheaper material than brass or steel, offering the same or better results than these.
- Resistance: it is hard, rigid and very resistant, so it is easier to break it than to deform it.
- Cost reduction: because it melts at a low temperature (420º) compared to brass (920º) or steel (1400º), this material can mean considerable savings in production costs.
- High castability: this is the metal’s ability to flow through all the holes in the mould to create complex, finely detailed parts effortlessly.
- 100% nickel-free: this allows for high quality aesthetic results, in various colours such as gold, silver, as well as chrome plating, zinc plating or machining.
This also makes it a hypoallergenic metal.
6.Durability: Zamak is a material that ages very well, does not tarnish like silver and does not lose its colour like brass.
- Speed: the ease with which this material can be melted makes it a perfect ally for the rapid manufacture of your pieces.
- Good appearance: the fact that you can create pieces with a lot of detail and without flaws, as well as the fact that it does not get dirty or lose its beauty over time, makes it the perfect material for the creation of accessories and jewellery.
Without a shadow of a doubt, this material is an excellent ally for the manufacture of large or small parts.
Zamak, the perfect material
It is clear that Zamak is a material widely used in the manufacture of all kinds of parts, easy to inject, low cost and extreme quality.
For this reason, the great majority of industries, such as jewellery and accessories, games and toys, as well as the automotive sector, use zamak as a perfect material for the manufacture of their parts.
In Atienza y Climent we offer the manufacture of zamak moulds to make objects from this raw material.